Monday, May 31, 2010

Don't get your hopes up...

So I am in an American Folklore class and I am doing a project on the ways that parents choose their children's names and what this says about the American National Character. If any of you mothers (let's be honest, I know the fathers that roam blogspot are few and far between) out there would be willing to answer these few questions I would really appreciate it.

You could either leave me the responses in a comment or e-mail me at cbuz75@gmail.com, whichever is easiest for you.

Thanks for your help.

Cameron

What is your child’s name? (or children’s names)

What resources, if any, did you use as you tried to decide on a name?

What were the factors that determined the value of the name? (for example: historical figures, family names, uniqueness, the sound of the name with the last name, etc.)

If not answered above, what was the factor which in the end made you choose the name?
Were there any outside influences besides you and your partner that affected the name given? (for example: family members vetoing a name, juniors, etc.)

Were there any compromises between you and your partner?

Do you feel like you are influencing the future for or character of your child by the name you give it?

With any future children, do you plan on following the same “rules” for their names?

Thank you so much for your help.

7 comments:

  1. I'm only slightly offended that you only asked mothers what they named their children. Don't you know that I already have ALL of my eight children named. First and Middle thank you very much. It's just too bad you didn't ask us single ladies or else I may have shared my secrets to naming with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I debated a long time whether or not to include single people or even married couples who have not had children yet. In the end, I had to narrow the scope of the project and decided to only include people with children.
    I know you would have been the first to help me out, though, Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is your child’s name? Jamie

    What resources, if any, did you use as you tried to decide on a name? online baby name databases and name meanings sites and good old intuition.

    What were the factors that determined the value of the name? family names, meaning of name, how it sounds, people I've known of that name and their character, whether I like it or not.

    If not answered above, what was the factor which in the end made you choose the name?
    we liked the sound of it. didn't hate the meaning. and we both liked it. Thought it was feminine based on our associations with others of the same name.

    Were there any compromises between you and your partner? not really. there were compromises in the name pool narrowing,..but in the end we both chose the name we liked best and no compromise was necessary.

    Do you feel like you are influencing the future for or character of your child by the name you give it? I feel like I am influencing the future or character of my child by how i raise her to make her name be associated with at least one girl with excellent character,... ie,.. she will make it great. And she will be her own girl regardless of what people might say about her name.

    With any future children, do you plan on following the same “rules” for their names? yep.

    Thank you so much for your help. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I e-mailed you my answer. It is a little long. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love how I havent posted any sneak peaks of her room. It has been hard for me not to. If you have time, which I am sure you will be busy like crazy, I would love for you to come see our house. However I know how it is when you are in town (you meaning people in general who are visiting a town with family). Family is always pulling you to stay with them. I go through the same thing when we head to Utah. That is why one time, I said we are telling our family that our friends are coming first this time. Rude yea? Well it was nice that one time, because we havent been able to do it since.

    I need to start on your gifts.....good thing I have a time line. I think I do better under pressure. Ok sorry to blab on.....bye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm probably late for your paper.
    1. Noah & Ezra
    2. online websites-meaning of names
    3. Meaning for 1st names, family name for middle names. Did not want something 'too trendy' I like 'cute', Jack likes 'solid'
    4. Decided on 1st name with meaning and family name decided with what sounded good with 1st name
    5. I vetoed some I thought were too strange.
    6. We both feel their name carries a meaning and who they should look to to become like. In their blessings they are blessed with things like 'righteousness of Noah' 'loyalty to the prophets as Stephen Markham' 'sacrifice of your grandfather Manis' 'be as Ezra of old and seek the law of the Lord and do it' etc. I love they can look to their blessing to gain a testimony of the scriptures.
    7. We'll keep the 'rules' for the boys. Our compromise I guess you could say is I get to choose the girl names and I care more about being 'cute' and keep with a family name as someone to look to.

    FURTHER INFO:
    Jack served his mission in Armenia, where Mt. Ararat lies. It is supposedly where Noah's ark landed. Therefore, it is to remind Noah of his dad, his mission, Noah of old and what he stood for.
    Ezra means 'God helps.' There were SO many events leading up to his birth that reminded us that "God helps. God is gracious" (his name Ezra John) so I love he can look at that to build a testimony of our H.F. Plus Ezra of old is a wonderful example in the scriptures.

    Good luck naming your little guy! Both times we didn't decide until the day after they were born. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. okay it's ABOUT TIME that you post pictures of the little man. i'm sure he looks completely different from a few weeks ago when we met him. please!

    ReplyDelete