when i lived in france for my study abroad, my cousin carrie introduced me to the ways of catholicism. she told me that every year she would give up something for lent. since then, i've tried to do the same. 'try' is the key word there. usually it's chocolate or something dessert based (i eat way too many sweets too often) but this year i ventured off to try something even more impossible. wait for it...wait for it...
that's right, folks. i gave up facebook. i know, you're all gasping, right? though sweets are my weakness, i think i am more addicted to this social network. so i just had to see if i could give it up. in fact, when i first thought about giving it up the thought came to my mind, "oh, i could never!" and that very thought is why i did it. it scared me that i am WAY too addicted. let me explain myself. i never post anything but i stalk people like crazy. i know what all of you ate for dinner, who you hate in the elections and yes, i looked at all 217 of your vacation photos...even though they were super boring. so, with that i am apologizing in advance if your birthday is during lent. because i don't remember birthdays. never have. unless i've known you since 4th grade.
wish me luck.
*lauren

you can totally do it! I gave up facebook too before we got married. It was tough. The toughest part about it was that it was a habit for me. I would check my email then check facebook, and then check it again and again throughout the day. Once i broke the habit, i didn't miss it at all! Thats when i turned to blogging and have never looked back!
ReplyDeleteHere's the story -
The first week or two was really hard and I wanted to go back to facebook many times. But i'll tell you what did it for me... when I worked at the hospital we sat on our butts most of the time. I saw married men showing the other coworkers their ex-girlfriend and saying stuff that I just didn't like. I thought to myself... I would HATE it if Alex was doing that! That's what totally turned me off to facebook.
So, that's my story in a nutshell. :)
(I actually have a facebook, but i only use it for entering contests) :)
Good Luck!!!
Yeah Lauren, this makes me really happy! I have this love/hate relationship with it myself because I hate how addicted people are to technology in general. That's why I say I will never have a smart phone. It makes it too easy to look up your email 100 times a day, when it just isn't necessary. But I do still love the idea of facebook, and like you said, birthdays and big events are where people post things so I've gone a week here, a week there without looking at it. And I've probably missed lots of birthdays...But I like to give myself a half an hour a day, to check my email, facebook, and blogs. Then I check my email one more time before bed. But when the time is up, I close it and don't get on the computer again. I have also set aside computer time for bills, blogging myself, and preschool research, but I have time limits for everything so I don't lose track of time spent. So anyway, I think you can do it!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great one! A great idea, I think I need to take a page out of your facebook and give it up myself. This doesn't mean you'll give up blogging, right?
ReplyDeleteCandy. Every year I give it up. Thanks for the shout out!
ReplyDeleteAnd good luck with FB!
I laughed so hard at the "facebook stalker" description! I think we're all the same. Maybe I should give it up too! Good for you!
ReplyDeleteWait.. I just read this again.. You lived in France?!?! Awesome!!
ReplyDelete