Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A little conversation I had...

So I (Cameron) am sitting in my Philosophy 201 class wearing my black and red UNLV Rebels hoodie (it's game week, I gotta represent) waiting for class to get underway when this guy comes up to me and starts a conversation. It went more or less as follows:

Guy: So you, uh, like the Rebels or something?
Me: How did you guess?
Guy: Hmm... and you think that is fine to wear around here?
Me: Yep.
Guy: Really?
Me: Uh huh.
Guy: So what, are you like from there or something?
Me: Yep.
Guy: I guess I just don't understand that cuz I've grown up here.
Me: ...
Guy: ... so when byu plays UNLV who do you cheer for?
Me: The Rebels, most definitely.
Guy: I guess I can kind of understand that, like if byu were to play Texas I would definitely root for Texas. I have always just kind of liked them too. And then, I mean, Texas is definitely gonna win so I would definitely root for them....

Yeah... I had to call it quits at that point. I realized that this guy was just not at my level. Rooting for a team just because they are going to win even when you have greater loyalties to the losing school? Really?!?

Ladies (I know my audience), if you ever engage in a discussion about the world of sports, don't commit conversational suicide with a comment like the one from my fair-weather classmate.

Sports-fan etiquette 101: you choose your team, and you are loyal to that team through the thick and thin. If you decide to switch loyalties, which is a complicated process I will not go into here, then you do it and you don't waver based on the predicted outcome of a game.

With that said. GO REBELS!!!



-Cameron

4 comments:

  1. i'll have to remember to wear my unlv sweater up to campus today. maybe get a few mean glancces shot my way?...we can only hope.

    *lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, what an idiot.

    Did I ever tell you about the jerk guy that I taught who bagged on the Rebels when I announced in front of the class that I liked them? Kind of similar story... I still hate that guy.

    Are you guys coming down for the game??? You should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! I'm not fair weather. Who are the rebels playing? Go opposing team! j/k. I am a suns fan though. I think that wins me some points at the busby abode. Oh are they playing BYU? duh,.. that's probably the whole point of the conversation. Go BYU! I was a BYU fan before I ever knew UNLV existed so that's why I'm loyal there. Go Cougs! Don't worry. either way we'll still be friends Cam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, those BYU fans...that little story explains a lot about them. Trent says, "Go Rebels"!

    ReplyDelete